Using Varnish to accelerate CouchDB

Karel Minařík karel.minarik at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 11:18:00 CET 2010

Hello,

I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure out how to
accelerate CouchDB [http://couchdb.org/] with Varnish. I got kinda
lost and would like to ask for some help.

CouchDB sends an ETag header in the request:

   $ curl -I http://localhost:5984/test/abc1
   Etag: "3-6585b511acdd9a73040e673329369ff6"
   Cache-Control: must-revalidate

My original thought was that I could use this in Varnish to speed up
the backend in certain time frame, and read cached object from memory,
as opposed from disk. (CouchDB view or CouchDB-Lucene queries send
ETag in their responses as well, so this would work very well accross
the whole database.)

However, I can't find any definite information about if and how
Varnish uses ETags? Is this a bad/impossible approach in Varnish?

In my tests, I got some *huge* speedup (with a default setup) when
querying Couch via Varnish: the mean response time dropped around
half, sometimes more (from ~ 2-3msec to ~0.5-1msec), and the requests
per second went up almost ten times (measured by simple ApacheBench
tests).

I couldn't, though, make the cached response to expire by changing the
document in the database and thus changing Etag for its response.
(Which I consider strange given the "must-revalidate" header?)

In the end, I suspect this is because Varnish has some default TTL
(120sec?) and that is what the acceleration is based on. Is that so?
(Again, I couldn't find any definite info about this in docs, or in
the default.vcl.)

What would you consider to be the most effective Varnish configuration
for CouchDB? Is time-based caching (eg. setting the Expires or Last-
Modified header) the only option?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Karel