Vcl command restart and multiple backends

Glen Kelly Glen.Kelly at fire.tas.gov.au
Fri Nov 12 00:52:14 CET 2010

How does varnish handle request to multiple backend when the vcl "restart" command is run.

Does it use the same backend as the initial request or does it use another backend in accordance to the configured director.

i.e.

two backends b1 and b2, restart command is in vcl_error

request for object from b1 fails, vcl_error runs and the restart command is executed, on the next retry what backend will varnish use, b1 again or what will it act in accordance with the director (if the director was round robin would it use b2)?

I know you can explicitly script this in the vcl like in the example provided at http://northernmost.org/blog/some-trickery-or-resilience-with-varnish/ but I currently have our backends using the round robin director and I don't want to explicitly configure specific backends in a preference order.

Regards Glen

[cid:tasfire_wakeup_small7eb7.jpg]<http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/Show?pageId=colDayLightSavings>
P Do you need to print this? Consider the environment, prevent paper waste.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.