issues with purge via varnishadm ran by crontab

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Sun Nov 14 19:31:11 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Vincent <cooltechemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am using 2.1.3 and I am having issue with purge via the varnishadm
> command. Basically if I put the following command in crontab, the system
> will run the command as defined in crontab but it seems that varnish will
> ignore the command:
> varnishadm  -T 127.0.0.1:8000 purge req.http.host == "www.example.com"
> However, if I manually type the above command in the command line, there is
> no problem. I've checked that www.example.com is not in purge.list when the
> command is ran using crontab but it will be included in purge.list when I
> manually type the command.
> Is this a bug?

Probably not. Putting actual commands with options in crontab can
sometimes lead to headaches with quotes, parameters and special
characters and addition to the problems Anders brought up. If I where
you I'd just wrap it in a simple shell script and just call the one
script from your crontab.

--
Per Buer,  Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / skype: per.buer