file vs malloc

Angelo Höngens A.Hongens at netmatch.nl
Fri Nov 26 16:41:57 CET 2010

Per wrote in his survey result: "62% use -s file, which I find somewhat surprising. -s file doesn't really perform that well under pressure on rotating hard drives due to some changes in recent Linux and FreeBSD kernels."

But does anyone have a link to (or write up) some explanation for dummies on cache file types? I know there's 'file' and 'malloc', but I don't know the difference or the pros and cons.

I tried searching the wiki, but I my google-fu lacks sometimes ;)

--

With kind regards,

Angelo Höngens

Systems Administrator