Byte range and varnish

James A. Robinson jim.robinson at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 1 15:05:36 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 05:57, Tollef Fog Heen
<tfheen at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> | mp4: how is handled Accept-range field in the header, does varnish supports it ?
>
> In 2.0, it's not supported.  In 2.1, you can turn on Range support using
> a parameter.

Hi,

Well, I have to admit that I take issue with people saying byte ranges
are supported in 2.1.

As far as I can tell, it isn't *properly* supported.

It advertises Accept-Range: bytes but if someone passes in a valid
multi-sequence set of ranges, Varnish fails to do the right thing.  It
also fails to gracefully get out of the way on a pipe request, and
drops Content-Range headers from the backend.

Jim