varnish 2.0.6 and nuked objects

Stefan Pommerening pom at dmsp.de
Mon Oct 25 12:25:25 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I am running varnish 2.0.6 in a production environment without any
serious problems.

What makes me curious is the absence of any cache size configuration
("-s") and I am also noticing a signficant number of nuked objects
although overall memory usage is really low.
Determining the process memory using "pmap" shows a reasonable small
amount of memory used for caching but a large amount of memory used for
the configured 2000 worker threads.

Because I have still a lot of RAM unused I am thinking about using a "-s
malloc,2G" for the startup configuration but I am unsure whether this
might help getting rid of the nuked objects counter. As I understood
varnish let the memory utilization up to the operating system, so it
might not get any memory problems as there are only about 1/4 of the
main memory used (uptime several weeks, ~300 req/sec).

I cannot find any documentation on what varnish does if no cache memory
is configured (no "-s" option).
On the other hand I heard about a bug in 2.0.x varnish which has
something to do with memory allocation causing nuked objects every now
and then. Maybe it has something to do with this?

I upgrading really a good idea? Or what else might have caused the nuked
objects?

Regards,
Stefan