Question about Varnish Purge

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Mon Sep 27 10:32:03 CEST 2010

Hi.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM, . <gmoniey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I heard that the purge list is never actually cleared, and can grow to be
> really large over time. I use the purge quite a bit (which looks something
> like: purge ^/users).

It's not a bug, it's more a result of how the bans (that what they are
called in Varnish 3.0) work. The bans will add to the list and bans are
discarded when they are older then the oldest object in the cache. So if you
have objects with really long TTLs and a lot of bans this list can get long.

If you have a lot of CPU usage this might the thing causing it. Otherwise,
don't worry about it.

--
Per Buer,  Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / skype: per.buer