Question about a config file

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sun Aug 7 19:59:57 CEST 2011

Am Sat, 6 Aug 2011 17:40:00 +0200
schrieb Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>:

> Am Sat, 6 Aug 2011 17:02:32 +0200
> schrieb Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>:
>

> Sorry, my keyboard is acting up (need a new laptop...)
>
> Anyway, there is a module for typo3 and varnish called "moc_varnish".
>
> It comes with a number of config-files for varnish and I'm trying
> those.
>
> But when I run varnishd with one of those, I just get errors:
>
>  /usr/local/sbin/varnishd
>  -f /home/customer/htdocs/typo3conf/ext/moc_varnish/vcl-examples/production.vcl
>  -a :80
>
> Message from VCC-compiler:
> Expected ';' got '('
> (program line 174), at
> ('input' Line 23 Pos 22)
>                 purge("req.url ~ " req.url " && req.http.host == "
> req.http.host);
> ---------------------#------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Running VCC-compiler failed, exit 1
>
> VCL compilation failed
>

> The config upto that point looks pretty straight-forward:

OK, so after a lot of try- and error, seems that even though the config
file mentions 3.0, it is actually still a 2.x config file.

Among other things, purge does not seem to do what it did in 2.x.

I'm not sure I want to ban something from the cache - the purpose (as
far as I understood it) is to remove something from it, so a fresh copy
will be fetched the next access.

Can someone explain how ban takes over the functionality of purge?