different clients resulting in misses

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 8 23:28:17 CEST 2011

Hi, first of all I just started using Varnish. I think it's great, but I'm a
bit of a newbie :-)

I installed Varnish 2.1.4-1 on my localhost, which runs Ubuntu 11.04. It
runs on port 8080 and connects to the backend on localhost port 80. I use
the default config, except for that I added an unset.cookie in vlc_recv and
I added the following code from the manual to normalize accept encodings:

    if (req.http.Accept-Encoding) {
       if (req.http.Accept-Encoding ~ "gzip") {
           set req.http.Accept-Encoding = "gzip";
       } elsif (req.http.Accept-Encoding ~ "deflate") {
           set req.http.Accept-Encoding = "deflate";
       } else {
           # unkown algorithm
           remove req.http.Accept-Encoding;

When I start testing in one browser, I successfully start getting hits for
every identical request after the first one, so far so good. However I
noticed that when I open exactly the same url in a different browser/client,
the first request misses again, and then the second and third hit. Same
happens if I try yet another client (I tried firefox, chrome and wget so
far). As said above I tried to rule out cookies and encoding, but no
difference. Below a dump of headers of a typical request to the back-end.

GET /api/json/test?arg1=10&arg2=100 HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://localhost/api