file stoarage type

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at varnish-software.com
Thu Aug 18 08:18:56 CEST 2011

]] Matt Schurenko

| I've read all the documentation I can get my hands on and still don't
| understand how the file Storage Type works. What does "Storage for
| each object is allocated from an arena backed by a file." really mean?
| For example, if I specify a size of 40GB how much physical RAM will
| varnish attempt to use? Will it try to use all available RAM and, if
| there's no more available, then use the file?

The kernel manages the amount of physical memory to allocate as cache
for the file, Varnish does not try to manage that explicitly.  So, the
answer is «it depends».  (Varnish will use memory for threads and
various other data structures, but the cache contents itself will be
balanced between memory and disk by the kernel automatically.)

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software