Tune Varnish for pipe only operations

Brain Stormer minoritystorm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 05:11:02 CET 2011

Hello all,

I am currently having Varnish deployed as a front-end proxy for a number of
back-end servers (media streaming).

The back-end servers only communicate with HTTP in the initialization and
then complete the session with binary streams. So basically, I do some
checks at the `vcl_recv` then if everything is okay I `pipe` them to the
back-ends.

Currently, I have absolutely NO use from Varnish capabilities of caching.

I am currently facing CPU overhead at the `varnishd` process, I have tuned
lots of parts in Varnish, So...

My question now is, How to tune Varnish to give full attention performance
wise to piped requests, putting into mind that all sessions keeps up for
hours long.

Another question is, Do I still have to define a caching store ? I read on
some online resources that caching store is still needed for storage
regarding Varnish threads.

Awaiting your enlightening !

Thanks,
MS