Possible bug: Missing X-Forwarded-For and X-Varnish headers (Varnish 2.1.5 64bit Linux)

Johnny Halfmoon jhalfmoon at milksnot.com
Wed Dec 14 10:39:51 CET 2011

On 12/14/2011 09:36 AM, Per Buer wrote:
> Hi Johnny,
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Johnny Halfmoon <jhalfmoon at milksnot.com <mailto:jhalfmoon at milksnot.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I have a problem with Varnish (2.1.5)  not adding 'X-Forwarded-For' and an 'X-Varnish' to a large portion of the backend requests it makes.
>

> Typically this happens when people are piping requests and forget to set a Connection: close. So then the TCP socket stays open and the browsers keeps on talking to the backend. Is this what is going on with you?

Unfortunately, no. Pipe connections are correctly configured to close by this config :

sub vcl_pipe
{
     set req.http.connection = "close";
}

And besides that: When I monitor all requests for this site (lets call it site X), I see only GET and POST requests and nothing that should trigger 'pipe mode' for this site. There are other sites also running on the Varnish server, some of which trigger 'pipe mode' sometimes, but these sites use seperate backends, so this should be of no influence to the traffic to site X.

Cheers,

Johnny