Using varnishtop to show only cached objects

David Murphy david at firechaser.com
Wed Feb 9 15:22:17 CET 2011

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Catching headers that have 'X-Cache: HIT | MISS' header, using

varnishtop -C -I \^X-Cache

This doesn't return any results, even though they are in the logs e.g.

19.27    TxHeader        X-Cache: HIT

I assumed it was a regex syntax problem but the following returns results fine:

varnishtop -C -I \^User-Agent

Anyway, my actual aim in all of this is to be able to see what is
actually being stored in / added to the cache. I can see all the
request that reach the backend no problem ( using varnishtop -i txurl
) but am a bit stuck on how to display only the items that are
actually stored in the cache.

Thanks, David