How to find out a single failing backend from a round-robin director?(Inline-C)

Stefan Pommerening pom at dmsp.de
Thu Feb 10 10:33:39 CET 2011

Hi Thiago,

Am 09.02.2011 22:55, schrieb Thiago Figueiro:

 > I believe varnishlog has all you need:
 >
 >    54 BackendOpen  b backend_name source_ip source_port dest_ip dest_port
 >
 > Just track the id on the left (54 in this case) for the request and
response and you should be able to find the culprit.

That's correct - in my case the following (example):

   417 VCL_call     c recv
   417 VCL_return   c lookup
   417 VCL_call     c hash
   417 VCL_return   c hash
   417 VCL_call     c miss
   417 VCL_return   c fetch
    31 BackendClose - cmsweb5f3cae1
    31 BackendOpen  b cmsweb5f3cae1 10.40.XXX.YYY 37607 10.40.XXX.ZZZ 80
   417 Backend      c 31 group5cae1 cmsweb5f3cae1
    31 TxRequest    b GET

Unfortunately the inline-C expression VRT_backend_string(sp) gives me
only the director name, which is 'group5cae1'.

What I need to get in my inline C is the specific backend choosen from
the director, 'cmsweb5f3cae1' in this example.
How to get this? Any VRT_something for this?

-- stefan