Dynamically Extend Grace Period

Vince cooltechemail at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:07:01 CET 2011

Hi All,

I am wondering if I can dynamically extend grace period. For example,
currently I have beresp.grace = 10m. If something bad happens to the backend
and it needs more than 10 minutes to recover, 10m grace period is not
enough. Is there anyway to dynamically increase the grace period, say 2
hours, so varnish can continue to serve old content until the backend is
available again.

I tried to modify the grace period in the vcl and then reload the vcl.
However, it doesn't work. What's even worse is that reload the vcl will
remove all old content stored in varnish.

Thanks,

Vince