ulimit -v on SLES10/11

Stefan Pommerening pom at dmsp.de
Fri Feb 18 16:30:47 CET 2011

Hi all,

I am currently hunting down a strange configuration problem on SLES
machines.
And I could need some help if someone of you guys is also running SLES.

I had a strange problem with varnish not coming up which was result of
virtual memory on newly installed SLES 11 machines was configured the
same size as real memory was. On our 'older' SLES 10 machines the value
of ulimit -v was always 'unlimited' which allows varnish to fetch as
much virtual memory it needs. This took me some time to find out and now
I wonder what the default configuration on SLES 10 / 11 is. As I have no
clue where to look for it I'd like to ask if someone could send me the
values he finds on his default SLES machine (ulimit -v).

Need not be on the mailing list - might be direct personal mail. I will
send out a summary if this happens to be an error in the default SLES 11
configuration as this might be helpful for others, too.

Have a nice week-end,
Stefan

--

*Dipl.-Inform. Stefan Pommerening
Informatik-Büro: IT-Dienste & Projekte, Consulting & Coaching*