Possible bug with Varnish + mp4 vs iphone/ipad

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Mon Feb 28 03:23:57 CET 2011

There is some sort of bug ( probably at the apple end ) with iphones and
ipads downloading mp4 files off varnish. No problems with firefox and IE
grabbing the same files. Not sure if it was affecting desktop safari.

The symptom is that the ipad just says:

" Cannot play remote file "

Everything looks okay in the logs and varnishlog and I couldn't make sense
of the tcpdump. In the end we found:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pantheon/+bug/674492

if (req.url ~ "\.mp4") {
     return (pipe);
}

Which works, although obviously not in a good way.

Running 2.1.3

Just like to say that over the last week varnish has really saved our
bacon, we have had a huge traffic increase and accelerating our varnish
deployment got us through it.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.