obj.cacheable discontinuity and lifetime sw policy

Amedeo Salvati amedeo.salvati at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 17:56:51 CET 2011

hi,

first i want to tank you and all developers for your work, every time
i recommend varnish-cache to our customer, but today i tried to update
varnish from source, switching from svn to git repository, and saw
that obj.cacheable object was retired with this commit:

commit e0db8b06a229058bb759962cb3a3db5e14828e25
Author: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at FreeBSD.org>
Date:   Fri Jan 28 21:37:38 2011 +0000

    Retire the obj.cacheable VCL variable.  Whatever our thinking at the
    time might have been, it clearly was woollen, and all it did was
    confuse people.

Question is: how long statement, object... are supported through minor
version release(e.g. 2.1.x) or major version 2, 3, 4? Or they can
change at any time on every minor version?

I know that on 2.1.5 released few days ago ogj.cacheable it's present,
but on 2.1.6?

best regards