Trouble understanding Varnishlog

. gmoniey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 05:31:04 CET 2011

I'm using HTTP/1.1, so I don't believe that is the issue.

I updated my VCL to handle cookies correctly, and it seems like it is
caching things correctly, except for the fact that X-Varnish header is still
only returning 1 field. Here is an excerpt from varnishlog:

   15 VCL_call     c recv
   15 VCL_return   c lookup
   15 VCL_call     c hash
   15 VCL_return   c hash
   15 Hit          c 1571591022
   15 VCL_call     c hit
   15 VCL_return   c deliver
   15 VCL_call     c deliver
   15 VCL_return   c deliver
   15 TxProtocol   c HTTP/1.1
   15 TxStatus     c 304
   15 TxResponse   c Not Modified
   15 TxHeader     c Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 04:26:20 GMT
   15 TxHeader     c Via: 1.1 varnish
   15 TxHeader     c X-Varnish: 1571591046
   15 TxHeader     c Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, must-revalidate
   15 TxHeader     c ETag: "ded8a984e5d814ae0b2113e91757adbc"
   15 TxHeader     c Connection: keep-alive
   15 TxHeader     c X-Cache: HIT

>From what I can gather, there was a cache hit, and the object was delivered.
I even added the X-Cache header as shown here:
http://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/VCLExampleHitMissHeader

Any idea why X-Varnish would indicate a cache miss by not specifying 2
numbers?

Thanks.