Connections dropped under load

Robert Shilston rtshilston at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:41:37 CET 2011

> An unrelated question springs to my mind, which fortunately doesn't happen to be my use case: how would varnish handle a COMET scenario with tens of thousands of active connections, i.e. as a proxy for Jetty or Tomcat6 ?

We're using Varnish to do load balancing across Meteor servers.  Clients connect to http://data-lb.example.com, which is Varnish.  This then looks up which Meteor servers are active (using conventional varnish backend health polling), and then tells the client which one to bind to.  It works well.

Rob