Object no cached when TTL expires

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at varnish-software.com
Wed Jan 12 13:59:21 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 09:44:37AM -0300, Roberto O. Fernández Crisial wrote:
> I expect Varnish request the object from webserver, show HIT and Age header
> increase value.
>
> This is the sequence right now:
>
> 1) user ask for image
> 2) varnish receive request
> 3) varnish ask the webserver
> 4) varnish cache the object
> 5) varnish response user request
> 6) varnish response users requests for 1800s (TTL)
> 7) when TTL expires varnish should ask again webserver for the object and
> cache it (but it doesn't)
> 8) varnish response MISS for the object (Age header always shows value "0")
> and ask webserver for every user request :(

Aha, it sounded like you were complaining that you got a (single) miss
after the object expired. If you are getting multiple misses, it's a
different story.

If you attach varnishlog -o output of both the first miss that gets cached,
a cache hit and the two first miss after it is expired, I'm pretty sure we
can figure this out.

Oh, and your VCL, and while we're at it, we might as well throw in
varnishstat -1.

- Kristian