http_range_support

Wido den Hollander wido at widodh.nl
Wed Jan 12 21:17:46 CET 2011

Hi Roberto,

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 16:04 -0300, Roberto O. Fernández Crisial wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to figure out what varnish http_range_support is used for..
> I'm trying to play some media before varnish cache the object (I know
> this will be release on 3.0 version, but I need to know if this param
> can help me, or only start play the media once the object is cached).

No, it can't. http_range_support is for partial content, for example:

You have a 500MB video in your cache and the user wants to go to 1:34 of
that video, the browser or videoplayer (whatever he is using) will then
ask for a range of bytes instead of the whole object.

The RFC about this:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.16

Wido