POST requests to ESIs

Caunter, Stefan scaunter at topscms.com
Wed Jan 12 22:03:19 CET 2011

From: jsansbury at lullabot.com [mailto:jsansbury at lullabot.com] On Behalf
Of James Sansbury
Sent: January-12-11 4:02 PM
To: Caunter, Stefan; varnish-misc at varnish-cache.org
Subject: Re: POST requests to ESIs

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Caunter, Stefan <scaunter at topscms.com>
wrote:

Even on heavily commented sites, the number of POSTs for new comments
will be low per second. Issue always seems to be pulling comments for
each page load. Loading comments with a GET, with a ttl > 0 seems to
work well for us (no ESI). Is there a reason you are running with TTL at
zero?

Yeah, sorry, it was not so much about the TTL as the ability to still
lookup the cached page and pass the POST through to the ESI. I
understand we can increase the TTL of the ESI, but the real goal here is
to have a separate ESI only server that handles all authenticated
traffic, while keeping the frontend server served completely from the
Varnish cache.

Ah yes. Consider a subdomain. We pipe for cases like this.