LostHeader in Varnish 3.0.0

Gil Hildebrand gilhildebrand at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 01:14:16 CEST 2011

I am testing upgrade from Varnish 2.0 to 3.0.

In some cases, because of our advertising and analytics partners, cookies
can be excessively long. This appears to be a problem in Varnish 3.0, as I
get a 400 Bad Request response. When I look at varnishlog, I see a
LostHeader for the Cookie header.

I found some history on similar issues:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.varnish.misc/3236
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/ticket/455
https://www.varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-commit/2009-April/004227.html

Initially I installed Varnish via rpm, so I downloaded the source to see if
I could fix the problem via patch and compile. Unfortunately, I could not
find HTTP_HDR_MAX_VAL anywhere in the source. Was it removed? Is there now a
better way to increase the max number of headers?