HTCP CLR operation for purging clustered reverse proxy cache

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Jul 6 16:44:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

Why should this be in Varnish directly? Whats wrong with having it in a
separate program?

Per.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Ben Truitt <btruitt at rackspace.com> wrote:

> I was able to find the location of the source code for the HTCP plugin I
> referred to in the below email (thanks, Artur Bergman):
>
> https://svn.wikia-code.com/utils/varnishhtcpd/
>
> I'm still curious to know whether there are any plans to incorporate this
> or similar functionality for purging a clustered cache into Varnish going
> forward.
>
> Thanks,
> Benjamin
>
> On Jul 5, 2011, at 4:56 PM,  wrote:
>
> > Hi -
> > Thanks for the great work on Varnish!
> >
> > My team at Rackspace is considering adopting Varnish for some RESTful
> services we're creating. We're planning to have a cluster of reverse proxy
> cache servers in front of our origin servers. One of the issues that is
> important to us is the ability to keep the cache consistent with the origin
> server's data store as much as possible.
> >
> > I realize that Varnish supports HTTP PURGE operation, but we'd prefer to
> use something like HTCP's CLR operation for a multicast purge.  I came
> across a fairly old varnish-dev mailing list item related to this:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/varnish-dev@projects.linpro.no/msg00315.html
> >
> > That post indicates that HTCP CLR would be incorporated into Varnish, but
> I don't see that it has been.
> >
> > I'd love to know:
> > 1) Are there plans to include HTCP CLR in Varnish any time soon?
> > 2) Is there a plugin (such as the one Artur Bergman created) available
> that I can use today?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time!
> >
> > Best,
> > Benjamin Truitt
>
> This email may include confidential information. If you received it in
> error, please delete it.

Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer
*Varnish makes websites fly!*
Whitepapers <http://www.varnish-software.com/whitepapers> |
Video<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7t2Sp174eI> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/varnishsoftware>