Persistent storage on varnish 3.0.0

Pierre-Gilles Mialon pmialon at free.fr
Wed Jul 13 16:41:43 CEST 2011

	Hi,

	We try to use persistent storage with varnish 3.0.0,
we run:
varnishd -d -a :80 -f /etc/varnish/default.vcl -s persistent,/var/lib/varnish/instance/A.shm,10M

On linux during the startup of varnishd the output mention:
CHK(0x7f1bbd81d0a0 SILO 0x7f1bbc7e1000 SILO) = 3

And the persistent storage is reset.

We try the same option with varnish 3.0.0 on amd64 arch
with the package and the latest git sources:

gcc-version	|	4.2	|	4.4	|	4.6	|
FreeBSD 8.2	|	OK	|	-	|	KO	|
Debian 6		|	-	|	KO	|	KO	|
Debian sid	|	-	|	KO	|	KO	|
Fedora 15		|	-	| 	-	|	KO	|

We test using the following procedure:
 . launch varnishd with the command below
 . start child
 . varnishreplay a log file
 . display the number of object (~1000):
	varnishstat -1 | grep '^n_objec'
 . stop child
 . start child
 . display the number of object
 . stop child
 . quit
 . relaunch the daemon
 . start child
 . display the number of object

before quit command, varnish persistent storage work, if we quit,
it only works on FreeBSD with gcc 4.2

Is it a known issue ?

Thanks for your help.

--