time out on big object ??

Patrick CAO HUU THIEN patrick.cao_huu_thien at upmc.fr
Wed Jun 1 13:02:22 CEST 2011

2011/5/30 Geoff Simmons <geoff at uplex.de>

> The default value of the send_timeout parameter is 600 seconds:
>
> "Send timeout for client connections. If no data has been sent to the
> client in this many seconds, the session is closed. See setsockopt(2)
> under SO_SNDTIMEO for more information."
>
> Probably what's happening is that Varnish needs more than 10 minutes to
> read the 630 MB monster from your backend, during which the client
> connection sits idle, and the timeout elapses.
>
> You could set a higher timeout with -p send_timeout=<more than 600>, but
> you're probably much better off having VCL return pass on that
> particular URL. Unless you really need Varnish to take up 630 MB of
> space just to cache your Ubuntu ISO.

Yes, that's exactly what I want.

So I just add this line to the vcl_recv function:

 sub vcl_recv {
        if (req.http.host ~ "^xxxx") {
                set req.backend = xxxx;
                *if (req.url ~ "^/iso/") {*
*                        return(pass);*

The time out is always activated ?!
The only difference is what, now, wget can use the "206 Partial content"
option, but firefox can't :(

I am sure what I fail on something, because with the pass action, no time
must be send to the client anymore.

--
patrick