varnish is using all file descriptors

Vince cooltechemail at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:31:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

We had a problem with our varnish server recently that sometimes the server
will use all file descriptors available to it, which is set to 65536, and
start refusing connections. I am wondering how to find out what's the real
problem behind it.

The only thing I can think of is that I configured max_restarts=2 and we
have 3 backends. When the the first backend returns a 404, varnish will try
the second, and when the second backend returns 404 again, varnish will try
the third one. Will this be a problem or cause any dead loops?

I would appreciate if anyone would shed some light on it problem. Basically
when we encounter this problem everything seems fine and it is hard for us
to diagnose the problem

Thank you very much

Vince