Processing ESIs in parallel

Kristian Grønfeldt Sørensen ksorensen at nordija.com
Fri Mar 4 11:56:13 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 10:14 +0000, Steve Webster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been looking at using Varnish 2.1.5 with ESIs to allow us to
> cache the bulk of our page content whilst still generating the
> user-specific sections dynamically. The sticking point for us is that
> some of these page sections cannot be cached. It seems, based on both
> observed behaviour and a quick look at the code for ESI_Deliver, that
> Varnish is processing and requesting content for the ESIs serially
> rather than in parallel.

I would like to see that feature in varnish as well. In our case we are
including up to several hundred objects from a single document, and due
to the nature of our data, chances are that if the first included
ESI-object is a miss, then most of the remaining ESI-objects will be
misses, so it would be great to be able to request some of the objects
in parallel to speed up delivery.

Regards

Kristian Sørensen