Lots of configs

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Mon Mar 7 22:18:03 CET 2011

Hi David, List.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM, David Helkowski <dhelkowski at sbgnet.com>wrote:

>  A modern CPU can run, at most, around 10 million -assembly based-
> instructions per second.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second
> A regular expression compare is likely at least 20 or so assembly
> instructions.
> That gives around 500,000 regular expression compares if you are using 100%
> of the
> CPU just for that. A reasonable amount of CPU to consume would be 30% ( at
> most ).
> So; you are left with around 150k regular expression checks per second.

I guess we should stop speculating. I wrote a short program to do in-cache
pcre pattern matching.
My laptop (i5 M560) seems to churn through 7M pcre matches a second so I was
a bit off. The matches where anchored and small but varying it doesn't seem
to affect performance much.

The source for my test is here: http://pastebin.com/a68y15hp

(.. )

 Compare it to a hash lookup. A hash lookup, using a good minimal perfect
> hashing algorithms,
> will take at most around 10 operations. Using the same math as above, that
> gives around 300k
> lookups per second. A hash would be roughly 500 times faster than using
> if/else...

Of course a hash lookup is faster. But if you got to deploy a whole bunch of
scary inline C that will seriously intimidate the summer intern and makes
all the other fear the config it's just not worth it. Of course it isn't as
cool a building a hash table of functions in inline C, but is it useful when
the speedup gain is lost in buffer bloat anyway? I think not.

Cheers,

Per.