Lots of configs

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Mar 8 08:39:08 CET 2011

In message <4D74D763.706 at sbgnet.com>, David Helkowski writes:

>The best way would be to use a jump table.
>By that, I mean to make multiple subroutines in C, and then to jump to
>the different subroutines by looking
>up pointers to the subroutines using a string hashing/lookup system.

The sheer insanity of this proposal had me wondering which vending
machine gave you a CS degree instead of the cola you ordered.

But upon reading:

>I attempted to do this myself when I first started using
>varnish, but I was having problems with varnish crashing
>when attempting to use the code I wrote in C. There may be
>limitations to the C code that can be used.

I realized that you're probably just some troll trying to have
a bit of a party here on our mailing list, or possibly some teenager
in his mothers basement, from where you "rulez teh w0rld" because
he is quite clearly Gods Gift To Computers.

Or quite likely both.

The fact that you have to turn to Wikipedia to find out how many
instructions a contemporary CPU can execute per second, and then
get the answer wrong by about an order of magnitude makes me almost
sad for you.

But you may have a future in you still, but there are a lot of good
books you will have read to unlock it.

I would recommend you start out with "The Mythical Man Month", and
continue with pretty much anything Kernighan has written on the
subject of programming.

At some point, you will understand what Dijkstra is talking about here:

    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD01xx/EWD117.html

Until then, you should not attempt to do anything with a computer
that could harm other people.

And now: Please shut up before I mock you.

Poul-Henning