Varnish 503ing on ~1/100 POSTs

Ronan Mullally ronan at iol.ie
Tue Mar 8 23:32:29 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Stewart Robinson wrote:

> Whilst this may not be a fix to a possible bug in varnish have you tried
> switching posts to pipe instead of pass?

This might well help, but I'd have no way of knowing for sure.  The
backend servers indicate the requests via varnish are processed correctly.
I'm not able to reproduce the problem at will so I'd be relying on user
feedback to determine if the problem still occurs and that's unreliable at
best.

It is of course better than having the problem occur, but I'd rather take
the opportunity to try and get to the bottom of it while I can.  I only
deployed varnish a couple of days ago.  The site will be fairly quiet
until the end of the week.  I'll resort to pipe if I've not got a fix by
then.

-Ronan