varnish as traffic director

Tim Tischler ttischler at homeaway.com
Wed Mar 30 20:46:43 CEST 2011

We first started using varnish for caching during a superbowl advertisement,
and then when we no longer needed the caching, we keep using it as our load
balancer.

We're now using it as a A/B testing system between static builds with a
number of different rules.  We've written a ruby DSL to generate the common
rules and inject the the GUID hashes that uniquely identify the A vs. the B
builds. We are also routing path prefixes to various additional
applications. I've been extremely happy with the speed, the stability, and
the flexibility of varnish as a load balancer/content switch, even without
caching.

-T