varnish 2.1.5 memory and swap

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed May 25 09:13:00 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Hettwer, Marian
<mhettwer at team.mobile.de>wrote:

> Reply to myself
>
> Although varnishd runs with malloc 6G, it seems that it's using much more
> memory:
>  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU COMMAND
>

> 21693 nobody    20   0 12.5g 7.2g  80m S    0 varnishd
>

> Hu? Resistent at 7,2GB and Virtual at 12,5GB. Why?

Virtual memory is, uhm, virtual. There is nothing tangible about it, so
you shouldn't really pay any attention to it.  Just spawning a thread will
take up a lot of virtual memory without hardly using any physical memory.
Stig has already answered your other question, I see.

--
Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer