Soliciting input on the ban lurker

Andreas Plesner Jacobsen apj at mutt.dk
Wed Nov 2 13:00:23 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 11:09:27AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The disadvantage of this strategy is that we get stuck on bans
> requiring req.*, those seem to be very common, and the ban-lurker
> does surprisingly much duplicate work when that happens.

In my experience, users either

* know about the ban lurker (uncommon), and write 100% ban-lurker friendly bans
or
* don't know about the ban lurker, and write 100% req-based ban. (In part due
  to the presence of ban.url and ban_url)

Which is why I don't understand why the ban lurker was enabled by default,
since it takes extra effort to write the ban lurker friendly bans, and enabling
the ban lurker, when you start doing that.

This makes me think that optimizing for the case where lurker friendly and
unfriendly bans are mixed is not where the effort should be spent.

--
Andreas