unique request ids

Mit Rowe mit at stagename.com
Wed Nov 2 20:03:35 CET 2011

Hello!

For many reasons (QA, performance analytics, etc) we log all of our proxy
traffic into a database.

We do this with varnish by collecting a text log via varnishncsa -F and a
CSV formatted string, and regularly run a batch process that inserts this
CSV data into a database.

I was wondering... does varnish internally generate a reliably random
unique value for each request (similar to mod_unique_id in apache or a
uuid/guid), and if so is there a way that i can write it out to my logs,
perhaps via an insertion into a request header and using the %{HEADER}i
macro in varnishncsa?

-Mit