unique request ids

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Nov 2 21:27:30 CET 2011

Hi Mit,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Mit Rowe <mit at stagename.com> wrote:

> I was wondering... does varnish internally generate a reliably random
> unique value for each request (similar to mod_unique_id in apache or a
> uuid/guid), and if so is there a way that i can write it out to my logs,
> perhaps via an insertion into a request header and using the %{HEADER}i
> macro in varnishncsa?

There is a request ID, in Varnishlog you'll see it as the last number in
the ReqStart lines ie.

    1932 ReqStart     c 127.0.0.1 54471 1236808814

You could probably extract it from the X-Varnish header, it will be the
first of one or two numbers in that header.

--
Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer