Intermittent 503's from Varnish

Gresens, August AGresens at Scholastic.com
Fri Nov 4 19:44:22 CET 2011

Hello

We're having a very nasty production issue. We're getting intermittent
503 from Varnish in front of a healthy backend.

This seems to happen on cache-miss, but we're not seeing requests make
it to the backend. Varnish immediately returns the 503. After the first
503, the page can usually be loaded by requesting it a few more times.
This seems to indicate that there is some condition within Varnish that
prevents it from hitting the backend that clears up quickly.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Is there anything we can try?

This is our startup config:

DAEMON_OPTS="-a :80 \

-T localhost:6082 \

-f /etc/varnish/default.vcl \

-S /etc/varnish/secret \

-s file,/var/lib/varnish/$INSTANCE/varnish_storage.bin,1G \

-p http_headers=128 \

-p sess_workspace=262144 \

-p connect_timeout=60 \

-p max_restarts=6 \