Intermittent 503's from Varnish

Gresens, August AGresens at Scholastic.com
Fri Nov 4 20:48:11 CET 2011

We were able to resolve this. Our Varnish instance is pointing a load
balanced  pool of backend servers (a vip on a hardware load balancer),
so to Varnish there is only one backend. We had a situation in which
certain images were returning 500 errors from the backend. Because saint
mode was enabled, it invalidated the backend (the only back end) after a
certain number of failures within a particular window. We disabled saint
mode and this fixed this issue. Best, August

________________________________

From: Lei Wang [mailto:leiwang at rhapsody.com]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 3:40 PM
To: Rob S
Cc: Gresens, August; varnish-misc at varnish-cache.org
Subject: Re: Intermittent 503's from Varnish

I had the same problem. Please help!

/usr/sbin/varnishd -P /var/run/varnish80.pid -a :80 -f
/etc/varnish/varnish80.vcl -T 127.0.0.1:6082 -t 120 -w 1,1000,120 -u
varnish -g varnish -i varnish81 -S /etc/varnish/secret -p
thread_pool_add_delay 2 -p thread_pools 1 -p thread_pool_min 800 -p
thread_pool_max 2000 -p session_linger 50 -p sess_workspace 4096 -n
varnish80 -s malloc,6.5G

configuration related to this problem:
backend eadrm {
  .host = "drm-ea.xxxxxxxx.com";
  .port = "80";
  .connect_timeout = 40s;
  .first_byte_timeout = 80s;
  .between_bytes_timeout = 40s;
}

  }  elsif (req.http.host ~ "drm-ea") {
     unset beresp.http.set-cookie;
     set beresp.ttl = 86400s;
     log "Adjusting EA-DRM TTL to 86400 seconds";

Thanks,

Lei