collectd 4.10 and Varnish

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Mon Nov 14 22:50:37 CET 2011

We're running collectd using version 4.10 from EPEL on RHEL/Centos.

There is a varnish plugin recently released with collectd but it requires
version 5.10 of collectd which is fairly recently released and doesn't
have rpms (I'd prefer not to build my own).

1. I was wondering if anybody has a backported varnish plugin for collectd
    4.10 or any other solution? I came across this post in the archives:

  https://www.varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-misc/2010-January/003736.html

   but I've not tried it yet. Any experience?

2. I was also thinking of using the collectd:tail plugin to pick out
    interesting stuff in the varnishncsa log. Things like hits on different
    types of pages on my site ( frontpage, section pages, article pages,
    etc ). Anyone else done something similar?

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.