Cookie value compare, integer

Lane, Richard rlane at ahbelo.com
Wed Nov 16 13:06:01 CET 2011

Is anyone comparing cookie values that are integers?

I am getting the value of a cookie and then trying to compare it to another integer value but am getting a compile error. Can I compare integers stored in the req object? Should I be going about this a different way?

For example:

--sitename.vcl

sitename_recv{

    set req.http.compareVal=10;
    set req.http.cookieVal=5;

   call cookieValCompare;

}

sub cookieValCompare{

     if( req.http.cookieVal < req.http.compareVal)
    {
       #do something extra

If I try to compile via the console I get:

Message from VCC-compiler:
Expected ')' got '<'
(program line 109), at
(/etc/varnish/sitename.vcl Line 11 Pos 28)
      if( req.http.cookieVal < req.http.compareVal )