Caching/Headers question

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:11:22 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Jo Galara <jogalara at gmail.com> wrote:

> By the way: Is there a way to "preload" files which ran out of TTL?
>
> Let's say I download file example.bin which is cached for 24h (Apache
> backend sends Expires header) and download it the next time 48h later.
> Varnish would have to redownload the file once a Client (Browser)
> requests that file again, right? Is there a way so Varnish automatically
> downloads files from the Apache backend as soon as their files Expire?

Not that I know. Usually we create a text file with the URLs and
access them with a script to put in the cache. This is called 'warming
the cache'. Can be used to refresh the cache too, but it's complicated
since you have to know each ttl time for the URL.

Other way is to cache like forever and let the back-end notify varnish
to ban the object from the cache. It's a very efficient method for not
having varnish download the file from back-end unnecessarily :)

--
[]'s
Hugo