varnish + wp + ec2 micro

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 23 00:12:31 CET 2011

I am looking for the best solution to host a wordpress site as cheap as
possible with a reasonable performance. The good thing is that the site is
only updated once in a while and is not very large.

I was thinking about spinning up an EC2 micro instance with ubuntu server,
installing mysql, apache2, php, wordpress and varnish. Does anyone have
experiences with a similar setup? EC2 micro instance has only 613M memory,
should this be sufficient to run ubuntu server with apache2, mysql and
varnish?