Round-Robin/Random Director Backend Behaviour

Corey Hammerton CoreyH at ganz.com
Sat Oct 1 15:25:37 CEST 2011

Hello,

In our environment we plan to put a varnish caching system in place to replace a system that actively synchronizes static content across multiple backend servers. To ensure that the load is equally distributed across all servers we will need to put a director in place (Random director with equal weight across all backends).

If we implement this system and varnish is asked to look for a static asset that is not present in some of the backend servers does it automatically go to the next backend server in the list? If not what VCL code would we have to implement to mitigate this problem?

Thanks.