Frequent varnish crashes

Ben Beuchler insyte at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:36:43 CEST 2011

I'm running varnish 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04, 64 bit.

Varnish had been running quite reliably when we only had one of our
sites passing through it.  Tonight I added more, about doubling the
traffic to about 40 - 50 requests / second.  Now the backend is
crashing every 1 - 4 minutes, reporting "Assert error in
vfp_testgzip_end(), cache_gzip.c line 656: Condition((vg) != NULL) not
true."  Searching for that error lead me to this bug:
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/ticket/1014

I tried applying the patch linked to as the fix, but that resulted in
a varnishd that would crash nearly every second.

Any suggestions?

-Ben

Output of panic.show:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/713808/

Output from "varnishstat -1":
http://paste.ubuntu.com/713831/

Main section of my VCL:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/713825/

Backend include:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/713826/

And the purge_acl include is a simple acl with only two IPs.