Mass redirects/backend selection with Varnish?

Jason W. jwellband at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:20:13 CEST 2011

Michael (and list),

First, thanks much for the response. It's much appreciated.

> I had the same thought when we migrated from squid + jesred to Varnish;
> we had several thousand patterns across a few sites. I did simplify
> things a little by implementing virtual-hosting type behaviour within
> Varnish, so it only had to process redirects for the particular site the
> request was actually for. If you can make a similar optimisation you
> might find the amount of processing per request drops considerably.

Not sure I follow here - sounds like you mean putting different sites
on diffing IPs and/or different varnishes? We do that with squid to
match each app cluster but there is no squid-centric reason for this.
We've 13 major sites that we'd front with varnish initially, and if
that works well, then we'd use it for more, so possibly 100 disparate
sites - each with more than one backend.

> While the if/elsif ladder looks a bit ugly and like a lot of work, it's
> actually pretty much exactly what squirm is already doing. So I think
> you'll find the performance to be about the same; possibly a bit faster
> since if you implement it within VCL you won't have the overhead of
> communicating over a pipe.

Guess I wasn't clear :)  It's more of a configuration query since
we're used to defining behavior in one place (the patterns) versus two
(patterns and a preconfigured backend).

> The only issue you'd have with doing it in Varnish is if your backend
> hosts are pretty much arbitrary; Varnish needs each origin to be
> explicitly defined. This requires a slight change to the logic, in that
> you need to set req.backend appropriately, in addition to req.host
> and/or req.url. But, it's not really complex.

That was my initial concern. After reading your email, I realized I
could define all the backends we'd need with deterministic names and
possibly write some VCL to select the backend from the "rewritten"
hostname. I will have to play with this and see if it works as I think
it does.

Luckily, we don't rewrite the Host header in squid, so that's one less
thing varnish has to do :)

Some of our patterns don't specify a hostname component; e.g.
http://([^/]+)/images(/.*) ==> http://static.\1/images\2. I know about
Varnish's regex substitution, so I'm hopeful that I can do the
rewrites in VCL.

> I do think that abstracting it out of the VCL so you don't have to
> actually manage the if/elsif ladder directly is probably a good idea.
> It'd certainly be workable but you've probably got better things to do
> with your time. I guess it depends how frequently you make changes or
> additions to your redirections.

Changes are made by the dev team a few times a week and rolled out
weekly via cfengine grabbing the latest from their VCS, pushing the
patterns out to the caching boxes and poking squid/squirm.

> When I moved to Varnish, I took the opportunity to place all the
> redirects and rewrites into our "DNS management system", which is just
> an in-house hodge-podge of Python and perl. The redirects are specified
> in a similar format to squirm/jesred, and I have a script that parses
> them and spits out appropriate VCL. That file is then rsynced to each of
> the proxies, and included from the appropriate site's configuration.

Heh - I've used this idea elsewhere but never thought of writing
something to generate VCL. Thanks for the reminder ;)

> If you are happy editing it directly, then there's no real issue. One
> nice thing about Varnish is you can tell it to load a new config while
> it's running, and if it can't compile it, it'll just tell you to rack
> off and keep running the existing one. So even if you break the config
> the site keeps running without a hiccup. jesred liked to just stop doing
> any redirects if I broke its pattern file, and the comment about "Dodo
> mode" makes me think squirm may well do the same thing.

Heh - this happened once or twice, then the dev team wrote a test
harness that calls squirm with a bunch of URLs and ensures that the
expected rewrites are output. We may have to substitute with curls
against a non-prod varnish (assuming the config compiles).

> I don't think I directly answered your question, so in case you didn't
> infer an answer: I personally don't think you'd benefit from doing your
> own custom squirm-like (or other) handler if performance is your concern.
> I think you'd be better off doing a quick hackish mass-conversion of as
> many patterns as you can and seeing how Varnish performs. My hunch is
> that'll alleviate any concerns you've got.

Thanks much for the ideas and for telling me that someone else was
(ab)using squid redirecters ;)

--
HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

Jason

The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment.