Sporadic 503 errors with 3.0.2

Bryan Stillwell bstillwell at photobucket.com
Mon Oct 31 05:54:51 CET 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM,  <Harri.Paivaniemi at tieto.com> wrote:
> Stupid guestion: Are you sure that the backed is healthy from the LB's point of view when this 503 appears? I mean if the LB is struggling with the probe sometimes...
>
> You could also try to change to lb-director in loadbalancer to something else (I guess you are using RR) and ensure that you have no stickyness in this backend farm configured.

Once I got rid of the hardware load balancers between varnish and the
web servers the problem went away.  We had originally designed it that
way so that we could disable varnish (squid previously) and the
webservers the same way.  The load balancers were really old hardware,
so it's not much of a surprise that they were to blame.

Bryan