Proper cache allocation (nuked objects but sm_bfree)

Damon Snyder damon at huddler-inc.com
Fri Sep 9 00:42:25 CEST 2011

Hi Kristian,
Thanks for the explanation. However, I'm still struggling with how to make
sense of the first part of my post. Specifically, how do I know how much of
my cache has been used and how severely under allocated is it? If there is
some memory free, why is n_lru_nuked increasing at a rate of ~50/s?

I have another varnish box with 24GB of RAM and a 20GB cache file with the
following stats:
varnishstat -1 -f n_lru_nuked,sm_bfree,sm_balloc
n_lru_nuked          11350022          .   N LRU nuked objects
sm_balloc          4124241920          .   bytes allocated
sm_bfree          17350594560          .   bytes free

According to the calculation above then the used memory would be negative.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,
Damon