My Varnish goes beyond the specified RAM limit

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Thu Sep 15 14:51:23 CEST 2011

Hi Nitin,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Nitin Srivastava <nsrivastava2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am executing this command -
> */usr/sbin/varnishd -f /etc/varnish/default.vcl -s malloc,3G -T
> 127.0.0.1:2000*
>
> which I believe specifies Varnish to use 3GB of RAM

Not quite. It specifies that Varnish should use 3GB of memory for storing
objects. In addition there are certain data structures that are allocated in
memory. Those are typically 1kB per object.

> only while my Varnish going beyond it and taking some 9GB of RAM

Varnish 3.0.0 can leak memory in certain conditions. You failed to specify
what Varnish version you're running, but if you're on 3.0 I would suggest an
upgrade.

Per.

--
Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer