Varnish + Kernel Tunning

Roberto O. Fernández Crisial roberto.fernandezcrisial at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:43:32 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

A few days ago I went on a pike of traffic on my Varnish server. The Varnish
works fine until OS' Kernel parameters were exhausted, specifically
"kern.openfiles" and "kern.maxfilesperproc". I'm currently using FreeBSD as
base OS because it was the best environment I could find for my
infrastructure.

Now I have a tunned server with Performance recommendations (
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/Performance). But I need to know
which are the best practices for these kind of configuration/tunning values.

Does anybody have a high-traffic Varnish on FreeBSD server?

Regards,
Roberto O. Fernández Crisial
@rofc